Beyond the Riverbank's full website: www.beyondtheriverbank.com

Sunday 6 May 2012

Rain, Gannets and a New Species to Science...




My family had warned me about the rain. The heavens had opened. I use the word ‘heaven’ as part of the phrase, not as a reference to a real place; because we all know the Bible is the best-selling fiction book of all time (emphasis on fiction). Anyway, the day I arrived home, the weather more closely resembled that which is normally found in Spain. Two days later, torrential downpours, and flood warnings all over the UK. At least the rivers looked a lot healthier in terms of volume!



What better opportunity to get out, wrap my camera in a bin bag, and get down by the river (Neil Young). What I love about the rain, more than anything, is how miserable it makes everyone. You have six months of drought, the driest winter on record for however many years, and then a few weeks of hard rain and people make it sound like they are getting into the RIB to go down the A1 to work. Plus it means there is far less people out on walks that I might bump into and potentially have to interact with.

Here are some shots in the rain, by the river…

The wonderful Mallard…



The odd looking Coot, with its red eyes and white nob on its head…



And a sure sign that spring has finally arrived (or supposed to have) the Swallow, awesome birds!



Not only did I see my first Swallows of the year, but House Martins, Swifts and even a Cuckoo by the lakeside in Henlow. Welcome back to the wonderful UK ! Here is a Sand Martin, about to take a sip of the tasty River Ivel…


I had a go at trying to make Pigeons look good. I tried for a few hours. Then went for a walk instead.



Not bad looking animals really, just a bit strange.


Another good sign – LOTS of Ducklings and Goslings !! Everyone loves a fluffy duckling!




And now, I am back on the Cap Fin. Watching Whales, eating French, and trying to control my severe armpit perspiration before the talks. Challenging.

Trip 11: Portsmouth – Bilbao & Bilbao – Portsmouth

After watching Cemetery Junction, I went straight to sleep, knowing I was going to be waking in the most exciting part of the Bay of Biscay. Right above the continental shelf edge, where the shallow coastal shelf of around 200 metres, drops off via a series of underwater canyons, valleys and cliffs, all the way down to around 4000 metres; the mysterious and alien world of the abyssal plains, where unknown species are discovered on a regular basis…


The morning started extremely well, a large pod of Striped Dolphin in the distance, and the huge blow of a Fin whale! During my talk, a pod of Common Dolphins were breaching in the wake of the ship. But, by the time I got on deck after my salmon steak with peas and lemon, the weather had deteriorated. The seas were calm, but the rain was heavy. Real heavvvy mann.


Luckily, this doesn’t put the dolphins off, as a pod of around 12 Common Dolphins joined the ship briefly.


I was reading up on these fellows, as they are a common species and there don’t seem to be any mind-blowing facts about them, and it turns out, there are. They are known for having the most teeth in any mammalian species. The record stands at over 250 teeth! Imagine having 250 teeth! And people are scared of sharks!?!?

Some breaks in the cloud as the ship pulled into Bilbao…



A sunset as the ship pulled out of Bilbao…


It takes 4 years before the Gannet achieves its typical colouration, with juveniles having many variations of black dispersed across their back, becoming whiter with age.



At one point five Gannets were soaring alongside ship. The ship travels between 40 and 50 kmph, yet these birds effortlessly run rings around the ship, over-taking, falling back, and balancing in mid-air, gliding above our heads - real impressive birds!



They even came so close that I couldn’t fit them into the frame of the camera. You can even see the greenish stripes on its feet!


A little Manx Shearwater bypassed the ship as well…

Manx Shearwater – famous for their insanely long migrations, and an inability to walk without looking like a retard.

On that note, I will let you get back to more productive ways of spending your time than looking at photos of my ugly mug with sweet wrappers in my eyes. Hope all is well. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment